NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The bats came alive for Albertus Magnus as the Falcons scored a total of 23 runs to defeat Regis (Mass.) softball team in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader on Sunday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex. The Falcons topped the Pride, 6-2, in the opener, before capping the day with a 17-2 win in the night cap.
In addition, senior Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) recorded another milestone in her four-year career as the utility player registered her 200th career hit in game one against the Pride. In game two, freshman Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.) recorded her first collegiate home run.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 6 | Regis (Mass.) 2
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 17 | Regis (Mass.) 2 – 5 innings
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (18-5, 11-1) | Regis (Mass.) (4-10, 0-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After two scoreless innings, Regis (Mass.) broke the silence scoring a run in the top of the third thanks to an RBI double by Kayla Pieta (Middletown, Conn.). In the bottom half of the inning, Albertus Magnus came alive scoring five runs on five hits to take its first lead of the day, 5-3.
Fortier tacked on an additional run in the bottom of the fourth to put the game out of reach 6-1. Ellery Rasmussen (Kingston, N.H.) scored the Prides' final run of the game in the top of the sixth on a sacrifice fly to center.
Albertus Magnus opened game two with a commanding 17-0 lead after posting a seven runs in the first, four runs in the second, a run in the third and five runs in the fourth. Regis was only able to score two runs in the top of the fith before falling in five to the Falcons.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Laura Anderson (W, 5-2) - 7 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 1 BB | 1 SO
- Regis (Mass.): Madi McLellan (Fremont, N.H.) (L, 4-9) - 6 IP | 13 H | 6 R | 6 ER | 1 BB | 3 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Along with Fortier, junior Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) registered a team-high three hits while Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) and Anderson added two runs a piece for the hosts.
- Senior Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.) and Anderson posted a game-high two RBI.
- Albertus Magnus finished 13-of-29 with six RBI, a walk and three strikeouts.
- Pieta recorded a 2-for-3 showing at the plate for the Pride with a run scored and a RBI.
- Regis finished game one with four hits over 23 at bats, two RBI, a walk and a strikeout.
On the Mound (G2)
- Albertus Magnus: Kristen Cunning (W, 9-1) - 5 IP | 5 H | 2 R | 1 ER | 4 BB | 4 SO
- Regis (Mass.): Alyssa Rossillo (Sudbury, Mass.) (L, 0-1) - 4 IP | 16 H | 17 R | 6 ER | 3 BB | 2 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Defoe, Fortier, and Wehder recorded a three-hit performance for the Falcons.
- Fortier and Cunning led the Falcons in RBI with four a piece while Cunning posted a team-high three runs scored.
- The Falcons finished the night cap with 16 hits over 30 at bats, including 15 RBI, three walks and two strikeouts.
- Pieta and Kelsey Grimard (Pelham, N.H.) led the Pride's offensive unit with two hits and a run scored.
- Regis finished game two 5-of-21 with two RBI, four walks and four strikeouts.
- Fortier was a perfect 3-of-3 at the plate with a walk.
Next up for the Pride, they'll travel to Suffolk University Wednesday night for a GNAC doubleheader against the Rams.
Release courtesy of Albertus Magnus Sports Information.