WESTON, Mass. – Junior Kelsey Morton (South Portland, Maine) scored two goals, including the game-winner in overtime, to lead Regis College to a 2-1 victory over New England College in non-conference field hockey action on Saturday afternoon. The Pride improve to 3-2 on the year, while the Pilgrims drop to 2-6.

Morton, the current New England Collegiate Conference Player of the Week, tipped home a blast from Aineen Callahan (Diamond Point, N.Y.) in the 13th minute of the first overtime to give Regis the win.

Despite a strong push from Regis to start the game, New England College struck first as Leah Foster (Greenwich, N.Y.) worked the ball down the left side of the field only seven minutes into the game. Foster turned back to her right and fired a ball in front that found the stick of Taylor Daileanes (Londonderry, N.H.), who made a quick move to her left and tucked a back-handed shot into the back of the net to put the Pilgrims on top 1-0.

The Pride kept the pressure up in search of the equalizer, but NEC's Michaela Clark (Dorchester, Mass.) was up to the task as she made six saves through the first 26 minutes of play. Regis finally broke through in the 27th minute as Jeszy McGuire (Brimfield, Mass.) took a quick shot on net that Clark got a foot on, but the ball was not cleared. Instead, it trickled along the goal line where Kelsey Morton pushed the ball just far enough over the line for the referee to call it a goal and tie the game for Regis.

Both teams would have chances in the second half, but both keepers stood strong as Clark made four saves in the half, while her counterpart Maresa Malcolm (Barrington, N.J.) made two of her own. Kelsey Morton had a chance in the 68th minute of regulation, but Clark stopped her on the doorstep as the game spilled into overtime.

At the stoppage, Regis switched goalies as Raegan Heck (Phillipston, Mass.) took over to start the extra period. She would be tested early as only two minutes in, Daileanes fired a shot on net that was stopped by Heck, but the ball caromed out to Kelsey Poulter (Milford, N.H.). Poulter took a shot on what seemed an open net, but Heck made a lunging stick save to keep Regis alive.

Seven minutes later, Leah Foster got out on the break after losing a defender and found herself with an open field and only the keeper to beat. Regis' Mackenzie Cattaruzza (Guilford, Conn.) raced back from midfield and tipped the ball away from Foster to break up the scoring chance. Two minutes later, NEC found themselves on a 2-on-1 with only one defender to beat, but Alycia LeConche (Simsbury, Conn.) broke up a pass and Heck came off her line to swat the ball away.

On the ensuing Regis possession, Callahan took the ball from midfield and worked her way through the Pilgrims' defense and found herself open at the top of the circle. She fired a shot opposite post where Morton tipped the ball past the keeper to give Regis a 2-1 victory.

The Pride held a 23-11 edge in shots, while also attempting 11 penalty corners to just seven for NEC. Raegan Heck picked up the win and made three saves, while Malcolm made four stops in playing the entire regulation. Michaela Clark stopped 14 shots in the setback, with Krissie Borrero (Ossining, N.Y.) and Michaela Hurley (Westmoreland, N.H.) adding defensive saves.

Regis returns to action next Saturday when they host Clark University as part of Pride Fest in a match starting at 11:00 a.m. New England College travels to Bridgewater State University on Wednesday for a 7:00 p.m. match.