STANDISH, Maine – Roger Hamel (Huntington Beach, Calif.) scored 17 points on 5-8 shooting from beyond the arc but it wasn't enough as the Regis (Mass.) men's basketball team fell at Saint Joseph's College (11-7, 6-3 GNAC) 63-57, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Junior guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) scored 10 of the Monks' points during a 12-3 run in the tilt's final two minutes and was 11-11 from the free throw line with a game-high 21 points in a closely contested GNAC matchup featuring nine tie scores and seven lead changes.
Trailing 54-51 after Pride junior guard Jordan Seldon (Dorchester, Mass.) hit a three-pointer with 3:55 remaining, the Monks mounted the aforementioned run with six consecutive points from Mileikis, including a layup that provided the hosts with the lead for good with two minutes on the clock.
Mileikis was 8-8 from the charity stripe in the closing minutes.
STATS OF THE GAME:
Saint Joseph's scored 15 points off 19 Regis (Mass.) turnovers and held a 34-18 advantage in points in the paint in the victory.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
· Mileikis added nine rebounds and three assists to his impressive line
· Freshman guard Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) scored 11 points with five boards
· Junior guard Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) contributed with 10 points, four caroms, and five assists
· Senior forward Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) chipped in with eight points and three rebounds
LEADERS – REGIS (Mass.):
· Senior guard Roger Hamel was 5-8 from downtown with 17 points, five boards, three assists, and three steals
· Junior forward Ademola Afonja (Staten Island, N.Y.) netted eight points with six rebounds
· Sophomore guard Shaun Wingfield (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) added six points and four boards
Both teams are back in GNAC action Tuesday, when Saint Joseph's travels to Mount Ida College for a 7:00 p.m. contest and Regis (Mass.) hosts Norwich University in a 6:00 PM tip-off.
Recap courtesy of Saint Joseph's sports information